Approach motivation. Avoidance motivation. This topic fascinates me. When our behavior is approach motivated our action is seeking good. When our behavior is avoidance motivated our action or lack of action is to avoid bad. I have studied this and our motive, approach or avoid, makes a difference. It is really cool stuff and worth pondering.
Here are a few examples.
Wife cleans the kitchen.
- Approach. It makes me happy to do things for my family.
- Avoidance. I want to avoid others from thinking poor of me.
Wake up early to attend Church.
- Approach. I want to learn and grow closer to Jesus Christ.
- Avoidance. I want to avoid doing wrong and eternal punishment.
Seeking a college education.
- Approach. I want to learn and provide for my family.
- Avoidance. I do not want to be unemployed.