February 10, 2013

Curiosity

Are you curious?  By nature.  Happy people tend to bcurious or is icurious people tend to be happy.  Well.  Science is not sure.  Which comes first.  Does it really matter?  I thought everyone was curious.  Well no.  Not really.  Curiosity can be natural.  A gift.  Curiosity is also something I can aquire.  Yes.  Nurture and develop.  With practice.  I can be curious.  I can be morcurious.  What is curiosity?  Active interest.  Wanting to know.  Know more about something.  Someone.  Hmm.  What curiosity does is open us.  Open us to experience.  To what?  To being open.  Open to discovery.  To joy & delight.  When we are curious we see things differently.  We tend to be in the present.  Present moment.  We are alive.  More engaged.  More capable of making connections.  Experience meaning.  More meaning.  The kind that lasts.  Martin Seligman, PhD and Christ Peterson, PhD are pioneers.  They studied ancient philosophers, religious texts and literature.  They noticed patterns.  They listed and charted and checked and tested.  Rigorous tests.  They determined 24 basic strengths.  Strengths that promote well being.  Increase happiness.  Positive affect.  What?  Positive emotion.  Strengths I can possess.  Strengths you can possess.  Curiosity was in the top 5.  Really?  Yes.  Try.  Practice.  Hmm.  I wonder.  What are the other 23 strengths?

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are back from your break! Love this post! I am trying to be more curious everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! It really is such an easy way to enjoy life more. Differently. Thank you for stopping by Finding Freckles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious. Did you enjoy the time with your grandkids? What did you do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan! I really enjoyed the time with my grandkids. I loved seeing our daughter too. What did we do? That is such a great question. We played. We ate. We talked. We snuggled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Kandee. This post is interesting. I haven't thought much about curiosity. I like your definition - Active interest. I can see how being actively interested in life makes life more meaningful. Thanks, Kandee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by Gail! Curiosity is and can be a well of strength. When we ponder anew we some times find that many of the answers we are searching for we already kind of knew/know. I have found being curious has opened me to following the spirit. I find I am also a better listener when I am curious. Still practicing.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Daily Posts